Alli's Little World of Knitting

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Baby Hats for the Hospital ...

Hi Gang!! I've been a busy little beaver lately! I've taken on a side-project! LOL (like I need any MORE projects HAHAHA) I am trying to use up some of my yarn stash doing some good for others.

FOCUS The Saint John Regional Hospital Auxiliary has undertaken to provide all new babies born in our Hospital with a hand knitted cap. Research has proven that newborns do not drop their birth weight if they wear a cap. In order to promote this service we are appealing to the community.

Simple Wimple Baby Hats

Materials:
1 skein Red Heart Baby Teri
Size 4 mm knitting needles
Size 4.5 mm knitting needles

With smaller needles, cast on 56 sts.
Work on (k1, pl) ribbing for 1.5”
Change to 4.5 mm needles and work in stocking stitch (st st) for 5" in total, ending with right side facing for next row.
To shape top:
Row 1: (K5, K2tog.) 8 times
Row 2: (and all even rows) Purl
Row 3: (K4, K2tog.) 8 times
Row 5: (K3, K2tog.) 8 times
Row 7: (K2, K2tog.) 8 times
Row 9: (K1 K2tog.) 8 times
Row 11: K2tog across - 8 sts left on needle

Break yarn and thread end through remaining 8 st.

Finishing:
Sew back seam edge to edge. Weave in yarn ends on wrong side of work.Turn or roll up cuff.

Happy Knitting!
Hugs
Alli

7 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger knittinggranny54 said…

    they are adorable.
    grandma steph

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Alli's Little World of Knitting! said…

    Thanks Grandma Steph!! I'm really excited about this project. So far I have knit up 9 hats all in pink and blue Baby Teri yarn! They are so soft for a wee little one's head!

    Hugs
    Alli

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger susanmark said…

    HEY Allie,

    I can't find the RH Baby Teri at my local stores anymore. I started a Donna's hooded towel for babies and ran out of pink and couldn't find any. We looked at Michael's,Walmart and ACMoore.
    Did RH discontinue it.

    Guess I should google and find out.

    Hats are adorable and there's tons of babies being born around me.

    HUGS
    Susan

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Knitcrazy said…

    Your hats are so cute and I do have some Terri :)

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks so much for sharing your lovely pattern. At first when I looked up baby hospital hats and saw your, I thought it would be for sale. I really appreciate your generous sharing of your talents. I hope I too can share mine like you. God bless you, Sincerely, Marie Gray in Montana

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Nanasniftynitch said…

    Can this be made with crochet? I never learned how to knit. I wish I did. I want to make some for a hospital where my grandson was born. He was 2 months early and they had hand made hats on all the babies and were needing more. I love these.
    Also making fleece chemo hats for a local hospital.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Cathy said…

    Help! I'm fairly new to knitting- at least following patterns.
    after the ribbing and working in the stocking stitch for 5" in total. Does this mean five inches of stocking stitch or 5 inches that INCLUDES the ribbing?

    sign me: clueless : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home